Historical Version of Section.
Superseded May 14, 2013.
(1) (a) An association has a lien on a lot for:
(i) an assessment;
(ii) except as provided in the declaration, fees, charges, and costs associated with collecting an unpaid assessment, including:
(A) court costs and reasonable attorney fees;
(B) late charges;
(C) interest; and
(D) any other amount that the association is entitled to recover under the declaration, this chapter, or an administrative or judicial decision; and
(iii) a fine that the association imposes against the owner of the lot.
(b) The recording of a declaration constitutes record notice and perfection of a lien described in Subsection (1)(a).
(2) If an assessment is payable in installments, a lien described in Subsection (1)(a)(i) is for the full amount of the assessment from the time the first installment is due, unless the association otherwise provides in a notice of assessment.
(3) An unpaid assessment or fine accrues interest at the rate provided:
(a) in Subsection 15-1-1(2); or
(b) in the declaration, if the declaration provides for a different interest rate.
(4) A lien under this section has priority over each other lien and encumbrance on a lot except:
(a) a lien or encumbrance recorded before the declaration is recorded;
(b) a first or second security interest on the lot secured by a mortgage or trust deed that is recorded before a recorded notice of lien by or on behalf of the association; or
(c) a lien for real estate taxes or other governmental assessments or charges against the lot.
(5) A lien under this section is not subject to Title 78B, Chapter 5, Part 5, Utah Exemptions Act.
(6) Unless the declaration provides otherwise, if two or more associations have liens for assessments on the same lot, the liens have equal priority, regardless of when the liens are created.
Enacted by Chapter 355, 2011 General Session