A person an HOA hires for construction work must be a licensed contractor, with limited exceptions.

Illegality.  It is illegal to hire a person who is not licensed to perform construction work on a project, unless the person is not required to be licensed.  See Utah Code § 58-55-501(3).

License Required.  A license is required for all construction work, with two exceptions that are noteworthy for HOAs:

  • Projects costing under $3,000 total in labor and goods are exempt (but if over $1,000, the person must report to the Division and have liability insurance, and workers comp if the person has an employee), except the following must be done by a licensed professional:

Statutes and Cases:

(For reference: 57-8 is the Condo Act, 57-8a is the Community Association Act, 16-6a is the Nonprofit Act)

Contractors, Hiring.  License Required.  Utah Code Sections 58-55-305 and 501.