Historical Version of Section.
Effective May 14, 2013.
Superseded May 13, 2014.
(1) (a) Except as provided in Section 57-8-13.1, an association of unit owners has a lien on a unit for:
(i) an assessment;
(ii) except as provided in the declaration, fees, charges, and costs associated with collecting an unpaid assessment, including:
(A) court costs and reasonable attorney fees;
(B) late charges;
(C) interest; and
(D) any other amount that the association of unit owners is entitled to recover under the declaration, this chapter, or an administrative or judicial decision; and
(iii) a fine that the association of unit owners imposes against the owner of the unit.
(b) The recording of a declaration constitutes record notice and perfection of a lien described in Subsection (1)(a).
(2) If an assessment is payable in installments, a lien described in Subsection (1)(a)(i) is for the full amount of the assessment from the time the first installment is due, unless the association of unit owners otherwise provides in a notice of assessment.
(3) An unpaid assessment or fine accrues interest at the rate provided:
(a) in Subsection 15-1-1(2); or
(b) in the governing documents, if the governing documents provide for a different interest rate.
(4) A lien under this section has priority over each other lien and encumbrance on a unit except:
(a) a lien or encumbrance recorded before the declaration is recorded;
(b) a first or second security interest on the unit secured by a mortgage or deed of trust that is recorded before a recorded notice of lien by or on behalf of the association of unit owners; or
(c) a lien for real estate taxes or other governmental assessments or charges against the unit.
(5) A lien under this section is not subject to Title 78B, Chapter 5, Part 5, Utah Exemptions Act.
(6) Unless the declaration provides otherwise, if two or more associations of unit owners have liens for assessments on the same unit, the liens have equal priority, regardless of when the liens are created.
Enacted 2011, ch. 355. Amended 2013, ch. 95, eff. May 14, 2013.